Monday, December 24, 2007

we're still here. how are you?

For today's installment, we offer the following excerpt from my parents' 2007 holiday letter. A perfectly lovely piece of writing from one of my favorite authors. Enjoy. And how are you? How's the family?

An essay by the English author E.M. Forster in a book entitled I Believe expresses his abiding faith in friendship. To convey the feeling of kinship among the friends he admired most, he employed the metaphor of single lights scattered on a dark beach, "reassuring one another, signaling into the night, 'Well, at all events, I'm still here. How are you?'" Our messages back and forth to each other at Christmas are like those lights, blinking out the same message over the years: We're still here. How are you?

1 comment:

superbigmuch said...

Thank you for being so good about keeping your blog fresh and lively.

Finn is sooooooooooooo cuuuuuuute! Darest I say he looks a lot like Kells Belles? Can I say that?

We had a low-key, high-fun factor holiday. Now I am grading and working on projects.

I miss you much and hope you had/continue to have a fantastic holidaze!